SDFFri 1:38 PM EDT
Just in time for the holidays, here are some helpful tips for travelers – especially those who do not fly often, to keep in mind.
• Go straight to the checkpoint by packing a carry-on bag and by printing your boarding pass at home.
• Consult your airline for size and weight restrictions for checked and carry-on baggage. Remember, nearly all airlines charge fees for checked baggage and you can be subject to extra fees if your bag exceeds the maximum weight.
• Remember the 3-1-1 rule for carrying liquids, gels or aerosols (i.e. lotions, creams, pastes, etc.) through the security checkpoint. You may carry 3.4 ounces of liquids, gels or aerosols in 1, 1 quart-size, clear plastic zip-top bag through the security checkpoint. If you’re unsure whether an item is permitted in a carry-on, or must be placed in a checked bag, use the “When I fly, Can I bring my…” search tool at www.TSA.gov.
• Charge your phone and other devices. It’s helpful to input key numbers, such as your airline’s customer service, your hotel, family and friends.
• If you are travelling with holiday gifts, be sure they are not wrapped as you could be asked to remove it at the security checkpoint. As an alternative, consider shipping them prior to your departure – it may be cheaper than checking an additional bag.
Before leaving for the airport:
• Check-in online. Most airlines allow you to check-in for your flight 24 hours prior to departure. -more- Louisville International Airport (SDF) www.FlyLouisville.com Bowman Field (LOU)
• Verify your flight’s status prior to departing for the airport. Visit www.FlyLouisville.com or your airline’s website to view your flight’s status prior to departing for the airport. (The Louisville International TSA Security Checkpoint is open from 4:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily.)
• Allow plenty of travel time. Plan to arrive 1½ to 2 hours prior to your flight’s scheduled departure. Also, be mindful if you are connecting through larger airports, it may be busier than normal due to the holidays.
At Louisville International:
• If you have questions while you’re in the terminal, visit the Information Booth, located on the arrivals (lower) level at baggage claim. A team of volunteer Airport Ambassadors will be glad to assist you 365-days-a-year.
◦ Monday: 8 a.m. to Midnight
◦ Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
◦ Wednesday: 8 a.m. to Midnight
◦ Thursday: 8 a.m. to Midnight
◦ Friday: 8 a.m. to Midnight
◦ Saturday: Noon to 8 p.m.
◦ Sunday: Noon to Midnight
◦ Thursday, November 23 (Thanksgiving Day): Noon to 8 p.m.
◦ Sunday, December 24 (Christmas Eve): Noon to 8 p.m.
◦ Monday, December 25 (Christmas Day): Noon to 8 p.m.
◦ Sunday, December 31 (New Year’s Eve): Noon to 8 p.m.
◦ Monday, January 1 (New Year’s Day): Noon to 8 p.m.
• If you have extra time while at Louisville International, consider enjoying any of the restaurants or retail shops located post-security. For your convenience, Starbucks Evenings, The Bourbon Academy Tasting Room, Brighton, Distillery District Marketplace and Finish Line News are located in the airside (postsecurity checkpoint) rotunda. Located in Concourse A are Chili’s Bar and Grill, The Local Rustic Market and CNBC News Express. In Concourse B, you can find Coals Artisan Pizza, the Farmers Market, Smashburger and the WAVE 3 News NBC Travel Store.