Back to News
2015 Holiday Travel Tips
November 23, 2015
Just in time for the holidays, here are some helpful tips for travelers, especially those who do not fly often, to keep in mind.
- Pack light in a carry-on bag to avoid airline ticket counters and take it and your online confirmation directly to the checkpoint.
- Consult your airline for size and weight restrictions for checked and carry-on baggage. Remember, nearly all airlines charge fees for checked baggage and you can be subject to extra fees if your bag exceeds the maximum weight.
- Remember the 3-1-1 rule for carrying liquids, gels or aerosols (i.e. lotions, creams, pastes, etc.) through the security checkpoint. You may carry 3.4 ounces of liquids, gels or aerosols in 1, 1 quart-size, clear plastic zip-top bag through the security checkpoint. If you’re unsure whether an item is permitted in a carry-on, or must be placed in a checked bag, use the “When I fly, Can I bring my…” search tool at www.TSA.gov.
- Charge your phone and other devices. It’s helpful to input key numbers, such as your airline’s customer service, your hotel, family and friends.
- If you are traveling with holiday gifts, be sure they are not wrapped as you could be asked to remove it at the security checkpoint. As an alternative, consider shipping them prior to your departure – it may be cheaper than checking an additional bag.
Before leaving for the airport:
- Check-in online. Most airlines allow you to check in for your flight 24 hours prior to departure.
- Verify your flight’s status prior to departing for the airport. Visit www.FlyLouisville.com or your airline’s website to view your flight’s status prior to departing for the airport.
- Allow plenty of travel time. Plan to arrive 1½ to 2 hours prior to your flight’s scheduled departure. Also, be mindful if you are connecting through larger airports, it may be busier than normal due to the holidays.
At Louisville International:
- If you have questions while you’re in the terminal, visit the Information Booth, located on the arrivals level near baggage claim. A team of volunteer Airport Ambassadors will be glad to assist you 365-days-a-year.
- Monday: 8 a.m. to Midnight
- Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Wednesday: 8 a.m. to Midnight
- Thanksgiving Day: Noon to 8 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. to Midnight
- Saturday: Noon to 8 p.m.
- Sunday: Noon to Midnight
- If you have extra time while at Louisville International, consider visiting The Bourbon Loft in the airside rotunda. The Bourbon Loft offers a first-class travel experience and an impressive view overlooking the airfield. Relax before your flight while enjoying a unique selection of bourbon and spirits, light food choices including sandwiches and salads, computer work stations, Wi-Fi and plenty of charging stations.