SDFTue 11:02 PM EDT
Just in time for the holidays, here are some helpful tips for travelers, especially those who do not fly often, to keep in mind.
• Go straight to the checkpoint by packing a carry-on bag and by printing your boarding pass at home.
• Consult your airline for size and weight restrictions for checked and carry-on baggage. Remember, nearly all airlines charge fees for checked baggage and you can be subject to extra fees if your bag exceeds the maximum weight.
• Remember the 3-1-1 rule for carrying liquids, gels or aerosols (i.e. lotions, creams, pastes, etc.) through the security checkpoint. You may carry 3.4 ounces of liquids, gels or aerosols in 1, 1 quart-size, clear plastic ziptop bag through the security checkpoint. If you’re unsure whether an item is permitted in a carry-on, or must be placed in a checked bag, use the “When I fly, Can I bring my…” search tool at www.TSA.gov.
• Charge your phone and other devices. It’s helpful to input key numbers, such as your airline’s customer service, your hotel, family and friends.
• If you are travelling with holiday gifts, be sure they are not wrapped as you could be asked to remove it at the security checkpoint. As an alternative, consider shipping them prior to your departure – it may be cheaper than checking an additional bag.
Before leaving for the airport:
• Check-in online. Most airlines allow you to check-in for your flight 24 hours prior to departure.
• Verify your flight’s status prior to departing for the airport. Visit www.FlyLouisville.com or your airline’s website to view your flight’s status prior to departing for the airport. (The Louisville International TSA Security Checkpoint is open from 4:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily.)
• Allow plenty of travel time. Plan to arrive 1½ to 2 hours prior to your flight’s scheduled departure. Also, be mindful if you are connecting through larger airports, it may be busier than normal due to the holidays.
At Louisville International:
• Although the airport is still under construction, many restaurants and retail shops are open. For information about food outlets and retailers currently open and the most recent updates about the Terminal Enhancement Project, please click the Pardon Our Dust link at www.FlyLouisville.com.
• If you have questions while you’re in the terminal, visit the Information Booth, located on the arrivals (lower) level at baggage claim. Due to the construction in the terminal, the Information Booth is temporarily located on the west side of baggage claim, next to Enterprise Rent-aCar. A team of volunteer Airport Ambassadors will be glad to assist you 365-days-a-year.
• Monday: 8 a.m. to Midnight
• Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Wednesday: 8 a.m. to Midnight
• Thanksgiving Day: Noon to 8 p.m.
• Friday: 8 a.m. to Midnight
• Saturday: Noon to 8 p.m.
• Sunday: Noon to Midnight
• If you have extra time while at Louisville International, consider visiting The Bourbon Loft in the airside rotunda. The Bourbon Loft offers a first-class travel experience and an impressive view overlooking the airfield. Relax before your flight while enjoying a unique selection of bourbon and spirits, light food choices including sandwiches and salads, computer work stations, Wi-Fi and plenty of charging stations.